Vereeniging in Gauteng lies on the Vaal River, 60 km south of Johannesburg. Founded in 1892 it was named after the original founders “South African and Orange Free State Coal and Mineral mining Association”
It began as a colliery centre, sponsored by Samuel Marks and the town soon gained importance from its position on the Transvaal Frontier. Later the completion of the rail link to the Cape stimulated its growth further.
Vereeniging acquired world prominence at the end of the Anglo Boer War, when in 1902 peace negotiations were conducted there. Despite popular belief that the treaty was signed there, the Treaty of Vereeniging however, was actually signed in the house of Mr George Heys in Pretoria. After the Peace treaty the town continued developing as a milling, tile, coal, manufacturing and general farming centre. A large power station was established and in 1913 the first full scale steel works in South Africa opened in Vereeniging.
Today Vereeniging in Gauteng is a very important Industrial area in South Africa, possibly even the most important. The proximity of the Vaal River has resulted in the area also being developed as a pleasure resort along its banks, and there are many interesting and historical places to visit in the vicinity of Vereeniging.
Some of the interesting places to visit are -
Maccauvlei was originally a huge farming estate owned by Samuel Marks in the early part of the 20th century. It is a farm rich in coal and is also the site of a concentration camp from the Anglo-Boer War.
Klip River Terrace is an archaeological site where a very large amount of Stone Age implements have been uncovered.
Three Rivers Nature Trail - Ideal for hikers who would like to explore the Vaal, Klip and Suikerbosrand rivers, offering also the opportunity for watersports.
Accommodation in Vereeniging is varied and there are a number of lovely hotels ranging from 5 star as well as guest houses, chalets and B&B’s to suit all tastes and pockets.
related articles Transvaal
- Famous South Africans - South African Actors - Charlize Theron - April 6th, 2012
- South Africa Tourist Attractions – South African Places Of Interest - Sudwala Caves - January 26th, 2011
- South African Culture – Tribes of South Africa - Shangaan (Tsonga) - October 9th, 2010
- South Africa -South African Travel – Messina - September 5th, 2010
- South Africa History - Famous South Africans– Paul Kruger - August 29th, 2010
- Touring South Africa – South African Cultural Sites – Lesedi Cultural Village - August 16th, 2010
- Touring South Africa – South African Provinces - Gauteng - August 4th, 2010
- South Africa Tourism – South African Historic sites - The Voortrekker Monument - July 27th, 2010
- South African Travel – Visit South Africa – Capricorn Region - June 24th, 2010
- Touring South Africa – South African Towns - Tzaneen - June 16th, 2010